Monday, April 28, 2008

Good food from Paris Sandwich, Tafu, Bouchon Bakery

Paris Sandwich: ExteriorBefore going to Chicago, we took a small trip to Manhattan. We stopped by Paris Sandwich to pick up something for breakfast, we got green tea waffles (one plain and one with kaya), pancake muffins, grilled chicken sticky rice. The waffles only cost me $1 a piece (extra for the kaya), they were light and tasty. "Kaya" is a jam that is quite popular in Indonesia, I was pleasantly surprised to find it here. The sticky rice was also good, a little salty but it has a lot of meat in it mixed in. Unfortunately the muffins were disappointingly dry, and didn't really have much taste to them.

Paris Sandwich: Banh kep with kaya Paris Sandwich: Pancake muffin (unwrapped)
Green tea waffles with kaya and Pancake muffins


Paris Sandwich: Soi man (close up)
Grilled chicken sticky rice


Tafu New York: ExteriorWe then stopped by at Tafu. I love anything with green tea, so it's been a while since I wanted to go here and finally today was the day. When I opened the door, I was very happy to see a lot of goodies and wanted to buy one of everything :-) These were what I bought:
- Houjicha cheesecake: very creamy
- Matcha, Houjicha and Sakura truffle chocolates: good
- Matcha, Houjicha and Genmaicha cookies: dry
- Matcha daifuku: good
- Matcha cupcake: very moist, they were from Kyotofu
- Matcha rollcake: very good
- Matcha, Kocha, Plain financiers: very moist, they were from Kyotofu too

Tafu New York: Display Tafu New York: Display
Cheesecake and Daifuku display at Tafu


Actually I also wanted to try their iced latte, unfortunately the machine was broken so they didn't have it today. I guessed now I have more reasons to go back.

From Tafu, we went for more sweet at Bouchon Bakery, one of my favorite places to go. I told my husband that I had to go there at least once a month, crazy huh?! :-) Today I bought boston cream donut, flourless chocolate cake, spring bonnet and quiche lorraine. The donut was moist but dense, the custard was not too sweet. The chocolate cake was good and chocolatey. The spring bonnet was okay, the cake was a little bit too dense but the mousse was creamy. The quiche lorraine was amazing, the crust was flaky and buttery, the filling was smooth and not overcooked.

Bouchon Bakery: Boston cream donut (close up) Bouchon Bakery: Flourless chocolate cake (close up)
Boston cream donut and Flourless chocolate cake

Bouchon Bakery: Spring bonnet (in box) Bouchon Bakery: Quiche lorraine (close up another view)
Spring bonnet and Quiche lorraine


Then we went to Mitsuwa Marketplace for their Glico sweets fair, read about it on my next post.

**********

Paris Sandwich
113 Mott St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-7221
http://www.parissandwich.com/

Tafu
569 Lexington Ave
Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel 1F
New York, NY 10002
(212) 980-1310
http://www.tafuny.com/

Kyotofu
705 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10019
(212) 974-6012
http://www.kyotofu-nyc.com/

Bouchon Bakery
Ten Columbus Circle, Third Floor
New York, NY 10019
(212) 823-9366
http://www.bouchonbakery.com/

No comments: