Friday, May 9, 2008

Breakfast at Petrossian Cafe

Petrossian: Cafe - exteriorLast Sunday, my husband and I went to have breakfast at Petrossian Cafe since I would attend several workshops at French Culinary Institute later that day. We heard that their croissant was very good, so we wanted to try and compare it to the one from Patisserie Claude which we love.

When we arrived at the cafe, there were only several small tables available but no empty one, so we had to wait for about 15 minutes. While waiting for our table, we got a chance to browse their display cases. There were lots of desserts, pastries, breads, smoked salmon, foie gras, caviar, chocolates. I decided to get some chocolates to take home, they were very good, so creamy.

Petrossian: Display Petrossian: Display
Display cases of chocolate and caviar


After we were seated, we perused the menu and decided to have borscht, pain au chocolat and the French breakfast which includes croissant, pain raisin, french baguette, jam, butter, orange juice, tea. The borscht was delicious, the pain au chocolat was good. The croissant was wonderful but we still prefer Patisserie Claude's croissant since it's more buttery. The pain raisin was okay, definitely better than any other pain raisins that I've ever had. The baguette was good, perfect with the soft butter and strawberry jam.

Petrossian: Petrossian signature borscht - warmed (with creme fraiche) Petrossian: Pain au chocolat (another view)
Warm borscht and Pain au chocolat

Petrossian: Orange juice, hot tea (english breakfast), milk and sugar Petrossian: French breakfast
French breakfast


We were quite full, but I knew that I wanted to order one of their desserts. I didn't know what I wanted so I asked my husband to go to see their display case and pick one for us to share. When he came back he told me that he chose gianduja decadence which was a hazelnut chocolate cake. It was amazing, very chocolate-y and creamy, I love chocolate and hazelnut. I was very content after having this cake, what a sweet thing to start the day.

Petrossian: Gianduja decadence (another view)
Gianduja decadence

Petrossian: Box of chocolates and Hazelnut hot chocolate Petrossian: Assorted chocolates (another view)
Box of chocolates and Hazelnut hot chocolate


**********

Petrossian Cafe
911 Seventh Ave
New York, NY 10019
(212) 245-2217
http://www.petrossian.com/boutique.html

No comments: